A domain name can be more than just the home of your awesome website, but a way to brand yourself online. One new and creative way to use a domain that is quickly gaining in popularity is using a domain like .info or .net as a short and memorable name that forwards directly to your Facebook or LinkedIn profile.
Setting up a New Domain to forward to your Facebook or LinkedIn is incredibly easy. Below are the two steps to setting up URL forwarding to your profile:
1. Go to your domain in your account and click the “Domain Forwarding” link then click “Manage Domain Forwarding”
Ensure that your name server as follows:
2. Once you’ve click this, you’ll be brought to the URL Forwarding page. All you need to do on this page is type in your Facebook or LinkedIn profile URL. In the screenshot
“Select On radio button under Path Forwarding section for enabling this feature”
Here is how we set up sahinkhan.info to forward to a Facebook profile (http://facebook.com/username):
That’s it, URL forwarding to your Facebook or LinkedIn profile is set up and working! The example above is live and in action here: sahinkhan.info.
- Keep it Short: Remember that many visitors will arrive at your website by typing your address directly into their browser bar. Aim for 20 characters or less to maximize your type-in traffic.
- Be Simple and Obvious: Make sure your domain is easy to remember and spell. If possible, it's best to err on the side of being straightforward.
- Avoid Numerals, Underscores and Hyphens If You Can: Adding numbers and non-alphabet characters to your domain name can cause confusion likely to result in lost traffic to your site.
- Consider Keywords and Cleverness: If your top domain choice is not available, consider adding a descriptive keyword as a starting point to brainstorm alternative ideas.
- Register Your Domain for Multiple Years: If your budget permits, registering your domain for multiple years can help your site rank higher with search engines like Google and secure the investment in your website brand.
1. Gain a larger clientele base
Everyday more people turn to the internet for their business solutions. Whether it is to research potential contractors, lawyers, or a new product, the internet introduces consumers to businesses they never would have heard of. Now people in Europe can learn about services a company in Seattle offers by the click of a mouse. Having a website introduces a business to new consumers and helps retain them as a client.
2. Educate consumers about your business
Many consumers research services and products online before purchasing. By having a website, you can inform potential customers of your services or products and what separates your business from your competitors. A website will familiarize consumers with your business and make them feel comfortable doing business with you.
3. Increase customer confidence
Customers can tell a lot about a company from the design of their website. An unorganized, unappealing website is a major turnoff to consumers. On the other hand, a professional looking website lets consumers know your business is serious and dedicated to their needs.
4. Cost effective promotion and marketing
A website is a lowcost, effective way to market your business. Television and magazine ads are great ways to publicize, but are often too expensive and do not always provide enough information. A website does not have a page or time constraint, so there is no rush to get the required information across.
Search engines allow businesses to target a marketing group more effectively than any other advertising strategy. Consumers that utilize search engines know what they are in need of and show a stronger desire in that product or service. Having high ranking search engine results, your business’ web traffic will dramatically increase and provide you with more customers than any other source of marketing.
5. 24 hour global presence
Consumers need information 24 hours a day. The internet is always active, and consumers around the world can look up information and conduct business at their convenience. A website allows a business to always be there for their customers regardless of the time of day.
6. Keep your clients updated
Consumers feel more comfortable doing business with companies of which they are familiar. It is important for a business to keep clients updated with their latest news, services and products. A website is the best way to inform clients of specials or sales that a business is offering. This will help increase a business’ revenue.
7. Improve communication with customers
A website enhances communication between consumers and businesses. A lot of the time consumers are interested in something on a website, but feel awkward or are too lazy to call for more information. Websites that are equipped with email forms allows consumers to ask their question in a moments notice. That is just one feature websites utilize to make communication easy. Other features are message boards, blogs, contact information and other web forms.
8. Keep the edge on competitors
The popularity of the internet and understanding of the value of a website increases everyday. Businesses that have a website are already at a huge advantage over their competitors. In addition to having a wider clientele base, their business looks more professional and established. That also goes for the design of the website. When a consumer visits a clean well structured website and an average website that offers the same services, it is a nobrainer which business they will choose.
9. Provide convenient support for your customers
24hour phone support is great, but many companies do not have the funding to provide such a service. A website is a way to help support a customer’s needs when phone support is unavailable. Many websites have a frequently asked questions page that answers many customer concerns. Businesses can also provide common lessons and tutorials on their website that will help customers accomplish their goals. If customers still have support issues, a website can allow them to submit their problem via web form which will allow a business to provide an appropriate solution in a timely manner.
10. Improve business to customer relationships
Websites can improve business to customer relationships in more ways than just via communication, support and uptodate general information. A website can also inform a user of their project’s status, account information or balance.
The convenience of a website helps increase productivity, performance and speed. Producing a reliable product or completing a particular service in less time than expected always makes a customer satisfied. It takes months to gain a good customer, but seconds to lose one, and it is hard to lose a satisfied customer.
- Spread the Word - Tell your customers, family & friends about your site.
- Optimize for Search Engines - make sure people can find you on Google.
- Update Regularly - keeping your website content fresh gives visitors a reason to come back.
- Use Your Social Network - post your site to Facebook, Twitter and/or LinkedIn whenever you update your content.
- Start a Blog - a blog is an easy way to regularly add new content to your site and attract and build repeat visits.
- Add a Facebook Like Button - so your visitors can easily share your website with their friends.
- Promote Your Site - add a link to your email signature, include a link to your site when you post to forums or comment on articles.
- Start an Email Newsletter - use it as a tool to bring visitors back to your website.
- Get Reciprocal Links - swap links with other websites that have a similar audience to drive free qualified traffic.
- Try Pay-Per-Click Advertising - drive targeted traffic to your website.